Sunday, October 23, 2011

All That I Was



The years teach much which the days never knew.  
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

This blog chronicles a precious journey in caregiving. Journeys are unique to each life as are our fingerprints. According to www.caregivers.com there are over 40 million family caregivers in the United States, yet few shine a light on their journeys. As I go further down this road, I'm learning that we are truly the “Forgotten Majority.”

As for me I am a widowed, “just older,” daughter who worked in television for over 25 years, trying to make my folks comfortable while still grabbing on to snippets of my life. I will say this experience has its blessings. Through the eyes of my parents I've been able to view bits of their youth, learn their fears, laugh at their insights, and hold hope in a death grip during the dark times. I'm also learning about myself which is a little late in the game, but maybe that's the purpose.

Most of all this blog's purpose is to share what I've learned and, hopefully, to learn from you. The importance of helping our parents, the elderly population proper, IMHO, has to be regarded as a great honor, rather a burden. Their journey takes them on a road we cannot see or imagine, but remains nonetheless real.

2 comments:

  1. J.D. I spent ten prime years taking care of my parents along this same journey. There were good days and bad, laughs and tears, late nights and predawn speed runs to the ER. I wandered here via Jon K's page. I sped to the beginning to see what ignited your first post. I commend your blog and admire all who take the job of caregiver as a opportunity to give back some of the selflessness parents provide us at the other end of the tracks. Be sure to take care of yourself along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment and for sharing your experience. Your message means a great deal to me. I struggled with self-care early in this journey, but I realize just how important it is to take time to smell the roses, if only a brief sniff.

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by and visiting "The Daughter." I hope you enjoyed the site as much as I am creating it.

You are always welcome at "The Daughter."