Sunday, October 28, 2012

Rocksalot Farm: A Put Away Day

Yesterday's theme focused on putting everything in the gardens to bed as well as a little gutter action.  By gutter action, I mean cleaning the gutters and checking to ensure the downspouts aren't clogged and the water can go somewhere other than into the foundation. 

Before I did all that, Dickens and I made a quick trip to Lowe's.  As I entered there appeared an extensive line.  Perhaps a noted DIY expert coming for a book signing?  A demonstration of a new fangled power tool for the gadget addicted?  No and No.  This line had one goal and one goal only - to be one of the lucky to take home a generator.  Watching folks stand in line anxious and impatient, on their cell phones searching for the next vendor should the supply run out at this store.  These folks appeared weary even before the storm began.

Once home, I grabbed the ladder (I'm not a fan of ladder-work, BTW), but I needed to check those gutters.  Upon closer inspection (as I reached the top), the gutters overflowed with tree debris.  I doubled checked the downspouts and installed extenders to the bottoms to direct (re-direct) the runoff should things get uber soggy.  It's done.  I'm glad.  It's annual project that can save in the longrun.

Here's the latest from The National Hurricane Center.  The smart thing for everyone might be to say "I really don't know about this thing" and just prepare.  To be prepared brings a calmness that can't be beat. 

Today, I'll finish laundry, bring Dickens to obediance class, double check the grounds, and read a book (hopefully).  Today I'll think about all the positive things that can happen, such as reading that book, observing the power of nature, and finally getting some housework out of the way.  I won't stand in line fretting.  Today will be awesome and I hope yours will be as well!

So, what are you doing today?

[Image of 5-day forecast and coastal areas under a warning or a watch]


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and visiting "The Daughter." I hope you enjoyed the site as much as I am creating it.

You are always welcome at "The Daughter."